fashion, food, home decor for a fickle heart

Vintage

I really like mixing the old with the new. As it is now, our apartment is mostly the old with the older so I'm half way there. But getting the the new stuff is easy-peasy, it's the old stuff that's the challenge. I don't really have a good eye when it comes to looking around thrift stores, but I do have my own little treasure island when it comes to knick-knacks with a history - most of us do. Our parents home!
My parents have the tendency to hold on to a lot of stuff, which annoyed me when I was growing up. I didn't appreciate the quality and timelessness of everything. They just don't make things like they did 30 years ago.

from the best vintage boots, the warmest jacket ever to the 1965 edition of The Lord of the Rings trilogy (that just smell wonderfully old) and the leather purses my father made - I HEART all this things that have such tremendous sentimental value!

Rummaging through thrift stores and checking out garage sales is more like a hobby than just a thing to do on a boring Sunday  -which it can also be, of course - sometimes there's nothing decent to be found and sometimes you really need to use your imagination to envision how to turn one man's garbage into another's gold (or however that saying goes). I, for one, don't really have the patience to look for those amazing finds, but I would like to. There's so many great things to be found out there!

What have you unearthed in the depths of your parents basement? or a thrift store...

No comments:

Post a Comment